Run down? 5 ways of dealing with it cheaplyPosted: October 3, 2012
The following is a guest post from My Canuck Buck - a lady who is finally starting to play closer attention to her bucks. Please check her out!
*Editor’s note: Thanks to Cat for helping me out! And uh….that’s my recomendation for being run down. Take guest posts ;) But seriously, make sure to go visit her site!*
Ever since Labour day, folks seem to be run down – fatigue, cold, flu, sinus infections – you name it. I don’t know if it’s the realization that summer is over, or the change in weather, or just back to school, but it seems like everyone is getting sick.
I haven’t been too bad, but I have had the odd sore throat and the sniffles (don’t know if it’s a cold or allergies). Here are some ways to deal with being sick without breaking the bank.
- Stay hydrated. Yup. Just drink water. Doesn’t need to be bottled water, coconut water, vitamin water, or any of that other fancy stuff. Just drink lots of water – I always feel better when I’m hydrated.
- For a sore throat – gargle with salt water. I find it helps cut down on infection and it really does the trick when my throat feels raw. I try to do it in the morning and before I go to bed.
- Tea is also great for a sore throat – or some lemon juice and honey. Even just plain hot water can sometimes do the trick if that’s all you have. To save on costs, stock up on tea bags, or hope that your workplace is nice like mine, and supplies options like honey lemon tea!
- Pick up Kleenex when it’s on sale. I tend to buy Kleenex in bulk. For work, I buy just plain Kleenex, as I also use it a napkin, for cleaning my desk, etc. For home, sometimes I splurge and get the stuff with the lotion, cause when my nose is red and raw, I really want that extra bit of comfort.
- Vaseline, or just the generic stuff – petroleum jelly. I keep a container of it on my desk at work – it’s great for chapped lips. I also apply it under my nose if it gets raw from blowing it.
And a bonus tip – rest! It costs you nothing, and it’s the best thing to do when you’re run down.
What are some cheap and easy tricks you use for dealing with being run down?